END OF YEAR LETTER
I am writing to provide you with information in relation to the end of this school year and to provide a basic outline concerning our plans for the autumn term.
The college will close to the students who are currently attending, at 12.15pm on Friday 17th July 2020. It will also close at this time for all other students who are working from home.
The college will not be setting work for students to complete at home over the holiday period as we feel that all students will benefit from a rest from their studies and that our parents/carers need a break from the role of teacher. I once again would like to extend my thanks to each of you for working with the college and helping to support your son/daughter with their education.
The government have now confirmed that they do not expect schools to be open, to any students, over the summer. Wright Robinson will therefore be closed for the duration of what is the traditional summer holiday period.
The good news is however, that college will be open to all students in the autumn term.
Similar to most schools, the college will be initiating a ‘staggered start’ to the autumn term. This will enable us to familiarise students with some of the new procedures that the college will be operating to reduce the risks that Covid19 presents.
On Tuesday September 1st the college will be closed to all students as this has been designated a staff INSET day.
Previously published calendars indicate that Wednesday 2nd September was also a scheduled staff INSET day. The college will now be open to students on this day. The college has also decided against taking the option of two additional closure days as we feel that the sooner we can return to having all of our students in attendance the better.
In summary, the term will commence as follows:-
Wednesday 2nd September – Only Years 7 & 11 will attend college on this day
Thursday 3rd September – Only Years 7, 8, 10 & 11 will attend college on this day
Friday 4th September and thereafter – All Years 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 students will attend at the college.
We will have to operate a little differently when we return in September. We will provide more detailed information concerning this in a letter that will be mailed to all parents/carers during the week commencing Monday 17th August but some of the expected key changes are:
- Students will enter the college building through different entrances depending on their year group.
- Each student in years 7 to 9 will stay in a “home room”, with their class, for most lessons. They will leave this room to attend some specialist lessons such as Physical Education.
- Students in years 10 and 11 will be able to move to certain classrooms, which will enable them to attend all of their option subjects.
- The college will not be serving food before college or at break. There will be a limited range of food, including hot food, available at lunchtime. The amount of time allocated for lunch will be reduced to thirty minutes. If your son/daughter wishes to have a snack at break time, we advise that this is brought with them to college. The college would also recommend that all students bring a drink with them to college, as communal water points will not be operational until furthernotice. Students who are eligible for a Free School Meal will continue to receive this provision at lunch time.
- The college will be operating a ‘cashless system’. It is imperative that if students wish to purchase a lunch that parents/carers sign up to the college ParentPay App. At present only 25% of parents/carers have activated their account or requested a PayPoint card. I must stress again the importance of activating your account if your child is to purchase food from the college.
- The college will not be running after school clubs or after school activities when we initially return with this being reviewed on a fortnightly basis.
- Students will be expected to wear full uniform.
- The college day will start at 8.25am and end at 2.45pm with students released from the building at different times. The dismissal of students will commence at 2.45pm with all students dismissed by 3.00pm.
- We are awaiting confirmation of school bus arrangements from TFGM. At the timeof writing we have not received any information to suggest that our current transport provision will be reduced or changed in any way.
Concerning the summer holiday, hopefully, the weather will improve and we will enjoy some time in the sun. I would like to reiterate a warning to all students, indeed to all members of the community, that under no circumstances should people swim in un- lifeguarded waters.
Swimming in lakes, quarries, reservoirs and rivers is extremely dangerous and should not be attempted at any time.
Although water may appear safe and tranquil, there are many hidden dangers such as ice-cold temperatures, varying depths of water and undercurrents that can quickly drag swimmers away.
Please help everyone to stay safe by following this advice.
We are confident that students will return to normal learning quickly upon their return in September. We are also aware that students will arrive back to college having accessed a wide range of ‘home learning’ experiences.
I can assure you that we will be working hard to provide opportunities for students to ‘plug any gaps’ in their learning. These are the very positive messages that we will be sharing with our students in September. I very much look forward to welcoming all students back to Wright Robinson.
We will keep you updated on the detail of our plans as they develop. I would be grateful if you could discuss the contents of this letter with your son/daughter.
All that remains is for me to wish you well for the holiday period.
Mr M E Haworth
Tuesday 1st September 2020 is an Inset Day – Staff only
Wednesday 2nd September 2020 – Years 7 & 11 only
Thursday 3rd September 2020 – Years 7, 8 10 & 11 only
Friday 4th September – All Year Groups
Important information for parents/carers of Year 6 pupils starting in September
A letter confirming all of the arrangements for your child’s first day at Wright Robinson College will be posted out to you w/c 17th August.